Re: lynx-dev LYNXCFG:, LYNXCOMPILEOPTS:

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNXCFG:, LYNXCOMPILEOPTS:
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:04:53 -0500 (EST)

991119 Klaus Weide wrote:
PW>  lynxcfg:  works for me.
> Well, typing in 'g HtTp://localhost/' works, too
> But "http:" is still the canonical form and lynx canonicalizes it
> and "LYNXCFG:" is the canonical form for the LYNXCFG scheme,
> whereas "lynxcgi:" is the canonical form for the lynxcgi scheme.

i don't believe Joe User has any idea of canonical forms:
he simply wants to know `Does it work?'
Jill User is even more pragmatic about such things ...

> Supported URLs makes the destinction
> "lynx...:" - documented individually some way
> vs. "LYNX...:" documented only summarily as "internal URLs".
PW> is THAT distinction documented ... (grin)?
-- humor snipped --
> It seems obvious to me that after
>        The lynxexec and lynxprog URLs:
> and
>        The lynxcgi URL:
> the heading
>        The LYNXfoo internal URLs:
> means something like "internal URLs, which we choose to capitalize
> in order to distinguish them from the other ones".

it's not quite obvious to me & certainly wouldn't be to JU,
who is likely to hit the last one directly from the starting list.

and now i've looked at that final bit of Users Guide,
what on earth is it there for?  FM being a schoolmarm?
yes,  k  is far easier than  lynxkeymap: ,
but now i've found a way of going to the startfile
without popping the stack via  m , but hold on!
 m  doesn't pop the stack, so why is there a warning message?

but now i'm beginning to question the Wisdom of the Ancients
& will bring down on my head the collective wrath of all true believers.