Re: lynx-dev TRST : the next step

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TRST : the next step
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:47:42 +0900 (JST)

> Anyway, *i* am looking at Tom Zerucha's script & proxy stuff now
> (for the first time seriously).  It is already convenient to use,
> in my opinion (and in my situation).  Improving this approach looks

I think he did some pretty good work.  His proxy ideas (also for SSL)
fit in well with Lynx.  When you speak of improving, are you talking
about making the socket handling more robust -- or whatever you were
referring to in a message last week?

Despite my own liking of gawk, it does seem to be really slow, and a real
cpu eater.  It's easy to understand for an untrained programmer, and it's
great for chewing up logs, making formated archives and correcting tests,
but it's probably too slow for heavy-duty table parsing as a PRINTER/
DOWNLOADER/LYNXCGI.  $0.02.

> If the script solutions look overly complicated and inconvenient and
                          ^^^^
> not usable for most "normal" users - maybe it's because nobody has
> written some easy how-to-use intro, and packaged it in a convenient

You put it well.  It's all pretty intimidating for first-time users who
have no idea what shell scripting is nor what an external application is.
Maybe we're trying too hard, though.  Why not just turn such people onto
MSIE or Netscape?  People who _have_ to use Lynx I think have (or should
have) the incentive to learn.

> is because those who would do such things are just 'not interested'? :)

I'd like to, but no time.  I looked the other day, and see I have a backlog
of over 1MB of messages/submitted scripts relating to the use of external
scripts/lynxcgi/proxies.  Really no need for anyone to write anything, just
faithfully extract and re-organize all the information that's come over
lynx-dev for the past four years.  Myself, I'm forgetting the tips of the
past faster than I'm picking up new ones.

__Henry