Re: lynx-dev dev15: table code, memory accident

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev15: table code, memory accident
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 05:34:00 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, John Bley wrote:

> Hmmm.. having a bit of a problem with dev15 in the new table
> code:  On starting up lynx,
>
> Read from uninitialized (rui):
> Attempting to read 2 bytes at address 0x589058
>     which is 56 bytes into a heap block of size 80 bytes at 0x589020
> This block was allocated from:
>         [1] Stbl_addCellToRow() at line 414 in "TRSTable.c" [...]
>
> Current function is Stbl_addCellToRow
>   401              me->cells[me->ncells].alignment == RESERVEDCELL) {
>
> It appears that the alignment member isn't getting initalized
> in the right spot when the row grows.  Either that or the memory
> handling is flubbed.
>
> I'll look into it when I have more free time, but I figured somebody
> else could probably fix it faster than I could.

Please try this:  Make the last 4 statements of that function, around
line 450:

    me->cells[me->ncells + colspan].pos = -1; /* not yet used */
    me->cells[me->ncells + colspan].alignment = HT_ALIGN_NONE;
    me->ncells++;
    return (me->ncells - 1);

(the second of those 4 line is new).

(I say "please try", since you have that machinery already geared up...)

   Klaus