Re: lynx-dev yahoo cookies not working the same in 2.8.3.dev15

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev yahoo cookies not working the same in 2.8.3.dev15
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:57:16 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
> > I repeat the question:
> >
> > Have you *told* lynx to read your cookie file?
> >
> > It seems you could have saved yourself a lot of work by reading CHANGES.

> <side issue>
> If we are going to conjecture on my saving time, it seems to me that
> I could have saved myself a lot of work if I wasn't expected to read
> hundreds of k of cryptic notes to figure out how to use a program I've
> been using for a number of years.
> </side issue>

Well to be more blunt, your time and my time...  I would have thought
that you know that program well enough, that you would notice quickly
if your persistent cookies don't get read in at all.  So I come up with
all those troubleshooting hints, and it turns out they are completely
pointless because you don't have persistent cookies enabled at all
- apparently.

You are compiling the current development version of that program.
You shouldn't be too surprised if things change once in a while.

If you're not into reading CHANGES every time you compile a new version -
well that's your choice, but you might miss some change (which in this
case btw. was also discussed on the list [a few weeks ago?].)

> I've no idea what you are asking me Klaus.  Obviously after using
> Lynx for all this time, something has changed.  Are you saying I now
> have to type a key or special flag to tell lynx to read a cookie file?
>
> If you don't have patience today to deal with such matters, feel free
> to ignore my questions.  I will muddle along somehow.  For whatever
> reason, the words "told lynx to read your cookie file" are not parsing
> into an obvious action I'm expected to take ...
>
> And yes, I've read the CHANGES file - I see 133 references to "cookie".

So what is the very first one?  If your dev.15 CHANGES file has the same
contents as the one I just checked on sol.slcc.edu, it is:

* changed default for PERSISTENT_COOKIES from TRUE to FALSE, since
  persistent cookie support is now configured in by default -KW

> As I mentioned in my previous mailing, I have a cookie file name specified
> in my lynxrc file.  What does lynx now need in order for it to read the
> cookie jar?

Is it really that hard to figure out that PERSISTENT_COOKIES in lynx.cfg
needs looking at?

I hope this solves your problem.

   Klaus