lynx-dev lynx as Test Instrument

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: lynx-dev lynx as Test Instrument
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 21:44:32 -0600

        The people who are putting together our distance learning web
pages have asked me to help them make the pages more accessible to
people who are blind.  It is going to be a tall order because many of
those pages are being generated with Domino or MS Frontpage which is
kind of like raising a kid on the mean streets and then hoping he will
somehow do the right things.

        With the exception of not being able to launch multimedia
players, one should be able to navigate a site perfectly well with
lynx and to read all the text pages and even download pdf documents
which can be run through a converter program which renders any ASCII
text that exists within the pdf file.

        I am maintaining that if it works with lynx, it will work with
IE or Netscape or any of the hand full of other browsers that students
might bring to the table.

        Lynx should illustrate those places where text is missing.

        This and the "bobby" application should give our web folks a
couple of good tools with which to gauge the things they are trying to
do.

        I would like to hear any comments on this approach because it
is an opportunity to maybe break a lot of bad habits and get on the
right path.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group