Re: lynx-dev Re: 283dev15 for Win32

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: 283dev15 for Win32
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:45:16 +0900 (JST)

> That means we have large sections in the common code without any kind of
> documentation readable by most developers.  Quite bad.

No arguement there.  All there is in English that I know of is:
   Linkname: Japanized Lynx Home Page
but it's so hopelessly out of date.

It's not a good situation, but if there is something specific you wish to
ask Hiroyuki and he is not able to get his meaning across, I'll do the best
I can to help you communicate with each other.

> I don't understand what's going on in this case either.  (One reason: see

It's the difficulty of determining a page's coding; which one of the below
is it?
  7-bit ISO 2022        <ESC> & @ <ESC> $ B 0x3441 0x3B7A <ESC> ( J
  ISO-2022-JP           <ESC> $ B 0x3441 0x3B7A <ESC> ( J
  EUC                   0xB4C1 0xBBFA
  Shift-JIS             0x8ABF 0x8E9A
Also, even if the coding is known or properly identified, what does one
do with characters that are not supported in the display encoding?

Perhaps *the* starting place for English readers is:
   Linkname: CJK.INF

> What is "7-bit kana"?  Or is that a typo?

Perhaps my way of calling it is incorrect.  Is one-byte correct?  Anyway,
I meant all those characters refered to as "HALFWIDTH" in the document (I
think called "SHIFTJIS.TXT"):
#       Name:             Shift-JIS to Unicode
#       Unicode version:  1.1
#       Table version:    0.9
#       Table format:     Format A
#       Date:             8 March 1994
#       Authors:          Glenn Adams <address@hidden>
#                     John H. Jenkins <address@hidden>
#
#       Copyright (c) 1991-1994 Unicode, Inc.  All Rights reserved.
[...]
0xA1    0xFF61  # HALFWIDTH IDEOGRAPHIC FULL STOP
0xA2    0xFF62  # HALFWIDTH LEFT CORNER BRACKET
0xA3    0xFF63  # HALFWIDTH RIGHT CORNER BRACKET
0xA4    0xFF64  # HALFWIDTH IDEOGRAPHIC COMMA
0xA5    0xFF65  # HALFWIDTH KATAKANA MIDDLE DOT
0xA6    0xFF66  # HALFWIDTH KATAKANA LETTER WO
0xA7    0xFF67  # HALFWIDTH KATAKANA LETTER SMALL A  ##start of syllabary
0xA8    0xFF68  # HALFWIDTH KATAKANA LETTER SMALL I
[...]
0xDC    0xFF9C  # HALFWIDTH KATAKANA LETTER WA
0xDD    0xFF9D  # HALFWIDTH KATAKANA LETTER N        ##end of syllabary
0xDE    0xFF9E  # HALFWIDTH KATAKANA VOICED SOUND MARK
0xDF    0xFF9F  # HALFWIDTH KATAKANA SEMI-VOICED SOUND MARK

__Henry