Re: lynx-dev Is this as intended? - #4 - DEFAULT_KEYPAD_MODE

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Is this as intended? - #4 - DEFAULT_KEYPAD_MODE
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 20:08:23 -0500 (EST)

991204 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> 991204 Klaus Weide wrote:
>> * correct comment in userdefs.h regarding renaming of
>>   LINKS_AND_FORM_FIELDS_ARE_NUMBERED to LINKS_AND_FIELDS_ARE_NUMBERED and
>>   change DEFAULT_KEYPAD_MODE to LINKS_AND_FIELDS_ARE_NUMBERED -PW
>> Why the change in default?
>> We have now one more option where the commented-out setting in lynx.cfg
>> does not match the userdefs.h default
>> and this fact isn't specifically mentioned.
> I didn't much like it, but no one disagreed - so it's there for discussion.

since my initials are on the item, i suppose i should comment.
the change in default was inadvertent: i was correcting the variable names,
which TD had forgotten to alter in  userdefs.h  when he shortened some;
possibly, my own setting got picked up by diff along the way.

that said, i will defend the change:
LE did the programming to number form fields
after more senior programmers had resisted it,
so that blind users could find their way around forms more easily
(for details, see the Archive in early 1997 IIRC).

for some reason, it is not possible to number form fields in  lynx.cfg ,
only in  userdefs.h  & the Options Menu, so users who rely on a sysadmim
may find they have to keep resetting the option or discover .lynxrc .
i suggest that is an unnecessary burden for the average user
& that making numbering of form fields the default
causes no-one trouble in their everyday use of Lynx.

are there any comments from blind users?