lynx-dev LYNX: err-msg for "s" too fast, shows ONLY ONCE, NEVER AGAIN

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: err-msg for "s" too fast, shows ONLY ONCE, NEVER AGAIN
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:19:51 -0800 (PST)

Have never used "s" (index search), tried it on what I thought
was an "index page"; evidently, it wasn't.

Got a QUICKLY-GONE message saying something like "not an index
page".

Wanting to see it again (so quickly gone, I couldn't read the
whole msg), I did ANOTHER "s" (same page, of course).

But no message.  DWIM: "Hey, you saw it once -- surely you
don't want to see it again, do you?  Of course not!"

----

LOOK: there might be some key that will show the prior
"message" (assuming that non-shown msg got SAVED to it!) --
if there is, then at least say what that key is
when you print that once-only msg, so the user
CAN see it AGAIN.

Actually, I don't like this scheme of showing a msg
only once, which seems to be what happens in this case.

---

Once saw a "fortune" msg (unix) that said that one of
those two inventors of unix had removed ALL the dials (gas, etc)
and error-lights in his automobile, and replaced them
all with a SINGLE msg that showed on his winshield:

    error somewhere in car

because of course anyone worth anything at all would
be able to instantly FIGURE OUT what was wrong.

<grin>

David