Re: lynx-dev a small, poor, 4Mb laptop in the suburbs of Dakar, Senegal

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev a small, poor, 4Mb laptop in the suburbs of Dakar, Senegal (fwd)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 22:50:37 +0000 (GMT)

> > Using SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 , that fits in 4Mb, the only problem remains the

If you asked on the SCO support newsgroups you would be told that
SCO 3.2v5.0.x needs at least 32MB, although we run in in 16MB.  I'd
guess they would tell you not to run v4.2 in less than 16, and we haven't
run it in less than 8 and possibly not less than 16.  You are pushing
the limits if you only have 4. v5.0.x is not that much more memory
greedy.

> > browser, and that is the reason why I'm boring you now.
> > I thought about Lynx, I began to download it, but I think it's better if
> > you give me some suggestions in order to reach the final target.
> > The only problem, I repeat, is that I have to stay inside 4 Mbytes.

You can definitely run earlier versions in 4MB on Linux and probably run
current ones in that memory and without heavy thrashing; you can
certainly run the current version in 6MB on Linux.  I would expect
Lynx to thrash in 4MB on SCO v4.2.  SCO v4.2 does a fixed partitioning
between disk cache and code space, so a 4MB system would have very little
code space; Linux (and NT) uses a common pool of memory for both, so is
less likely to go into swapping in this sort of configuration.

Note that Linux, as well as SCO systems bloat with time, so you might
find it better to use an old distribution if you are prepared to move
from SCO.