Re: lynx-dev flickering upon first bookmark display

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev flickering upon first bookmark display
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 14:41:27 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 7-Dec-99 19:02 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 address@hidden wrote:
>
> >> I start up with my bookmark file as my start page, and I have
> >> multi-bookmarks
> >> turned on.
> >>
> >> The bookmark file draws, THEN the whole screen redraws with:
> >>    Filepath: lynx_bookmarks.html

> > Well the double-drawing is only there with partial display on.
>
> Hmm, that seems to be a chunk of code in mainloop under the case
> NORMAL: when the first document loaded, it checks the page title
> and than search a list of Multi-bookmarks for newdoc.address,
> than goto try_again if the file recornized as a bookmark one.
>
> Is it reliable to relay on title?

No, of course not, but lynx is doing it in several places.
But this is not one of them: the check for the title is only one
of several conditions that are ANDed.

> If we can live without the title here
> (which could not be found without loading the document), we could
> probably move this chunk away from the case NORMAL on top of mainloop
> near 'bookmark_start' staff to avoid double loading in this particular
> case. Will it be a bug fix or lost the feature?

It makes sense to have this extra check before treating the file as a
bookmark file IMO.

Even mattack says it's only a minor annoyance to him (or words to that
effect); it happens only once in a session; it's not worth changing the
program structure for, IMO.

He isn't actually annoyned with Lynx's roundabout way to detect a
bookmark file; he is only annoyned with the way it is becoming
visible.   But that happens only with -partial, and arguably, by
using -partial and starting lynx this way he's asking for it.

>                     /*
>                      *  If it's the first file and we're interactive,
>                      *  check whether it's a bookmark file which was
>                      *  not accessed via the -book switch. - FM
>                      */

The "standard" way to access a bookmark file (and have it recognized
as such) is via bookmark-specific commands: 'v' as a key, or '-book'
on the command line.  If lynx sometimes recognizes a bookmark file
even if you don't do that, it is because of code additions that Fote
made because people kept asking for it.  But those work only in some
cases anyway (here: if the file in question is the "first file").

The canonical way to *start* with a bookmark file (and have it
recognized as such) is -book.  That hasn't ever been properly
generalized for starting *directly* with such a file.  But you can
still start with -book if multi-bookmarks is on - you just have to
answer a prompt then and select a bookmark with a letter (or press
return for default).

Finally, if someone just want to start lynx with that file and just
doesn't care for it being recognized as a bookmark file and being
treated specially in some ways - there's a trick possible to prevent
the special first_file recognition.  Just use some unusual form for
the starfile that doesn't get recognized; for example, instead of
   lynx ~/lynx_bookmarks.html
use
   lynx ~/%6Cynx_bookmarks.html

   Klaus