Re: lynx-dev libreadline

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev libreadline
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:18:14 +0400 (SAMT)

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, brian j pardy wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> > Technically what was asked about (vi mode) isn't really there either -
> > what is there in most of the prompts is the ability to move the cursor
> > left and right for making changes, using the cursor keys.  I am sorry
> > I mis-wrote originally.
>
> *nod*
>
> I think it would be at least slightly useful.  I wouldn't want to
> include readline with the lynx distribution or anything like that,
> just a compiletime option.  I'll probably start working on it soon --
> maybe have something midway through the next release's dev cycle.
> I've never coded with readline before, so maybe not. :)

 I'm not familiar with libreadline as programmer, but as a user (of bash for
example :) I wish to warn you - readline behaviour is: when user input is
longer than screen, next line (and so on) are used for displaying user input (I
don't know whether this
could be turned off programmatically). Such behaviour will make screen looking
confusing (user input is scrolled in current implemenation of prompts in
lynx).

 As a whole, I support using additional libraries in lynx (seems glib is a
good one - a lot of data structures available and it's rather portable
(thou' I don't know about availability for DOS)). Also some parts of lynx
could be made available as libraries (cookie handling, keybindings, charset
translation code).

> --
> The American Dental Association announced today that most plaque tends
> to form on teeth around 4:00 PM in the afternoon.
>
> Film at 11:00.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad