Re: lynx-dev i.e. nits

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev i.e. nits
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 02:05:11 -0800

On or about 09 Dec, 1999, Klaus Weide
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:
>
> >     I have a Mack, that is, a big truck for hauling.
>
> How about this one:
>
> I have a Mack, i.e. a big truck, for hauling, and a bicycle for
> getting to work.
>
> >     I have a D6 that is a bitch to get started on cold
> >     mornings.
> >
> >     I use a Mac; that is it on the desk by the window.
> >
> > Only the first of those sentences would use "i.e." instead of
> > "that is," that is [to say], the subject and verb for "a big
> > truck" is "I have," not "that is."  (That isn't even $0.02.)
>
> Could you share your $0.01's worth on "e.g."? :)

How about an appeal to authority?  Strunk and White, Third
Edition, pp 2-3:

                3.  Enclose parenthetic expressions between
                commmas.

                        [...]

        The abbreviations "etc.", "i.e.", and "e.g.", the
        abbreviations for academic degrees, and titles that
        follow a name are parenthetic and should be punctuated
        accordingly.

                Letters, packages, etc., should go here.

Two commas, say I.  I'll entertain bids on the worth of
that opinion, starting at a ha'penny (just to undercut the
competition).

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>