Re: lynx-dev dev.16 patch 5 - "internal-links" text

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.16 patch 5 - "internal-links" text
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:31:06 +0300 (MSK)

9-Dec-99 21:54 Klaus Weide wrote:
> Maybe this creates some discussion...

> +  --enable-internal-links    (prevent defining DONT_TRACK_INTERNAL_LINKS)
> +     With this option, `internal links' (links within a document to a
> +     location within the same document) get treated differently.  Lynx
> +     can distinguish between `<A HREF="foo#frag">' and `<A HREF="#frag">',
> +     for example, within a document whose URL is `foo', and may treat
> +     them differently.  Practical differences appear only when the
> +     containing document is the result of a POST request or has a no-cache
> +     flag set.  According to the author of this feature, it does The Right
> +     Thing, interprets URL-References as required by RFC xxxx, and prevents
> +     inappropriate resubmissions of form content with the POST method.
> +     According to a previous lynx maintainer, it does the wrong thing,
> +     is unnecessary, and can cause inappropriate resubmission of form
> +     content.

Do I understand this right that with --enable-internal-links two kind of
links are interpreted differently (and may cause resubmitions when
href="foo.html#frag" activated)? Well, this is a tiny difference and I
doubt page authors read RFC so carefully and this way.

Anyway, if without --enable-internal-links both kind of links are
assumed equaly to href="#frag" and cause resubmittion, that should be
fixed to work without resubmition.