Re: lynx-dev SSL

From: Natasha Live
Subject: Re: lynx-dev SSL
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:45:53 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Frederic L. W. Meunier wrote:

> > 1. How do I get SSL support for Lynx?
>
> More and more people ask for this, and SSL seems to be trivial
> on any browser since various sites are now using it
> (Hotmail...). Why not make a Lynx international version with
> SSL patch included, or make the patch available elsewhere? I'm
> not talking about the unnoficial patch for rel, but for dev,
> pre, and rel. Mutt (pgp stuff) and other well known projects
> have international versions hosted outside the USA. I'm sure
> more people would use Lynx if SSL support was included with ALL
> releases.
>
> It's a shame I'm not a developer. If I was good enough with C
> and other stuff I would like maintain it. I also think that if
> the patch for SSL is maintained for all versions it's more easy
> to maintain it. Or not? Last time I tried to use a patch for
> rel on a dev it didn't worked. I can see how hard it's to make
> a new patch from rel to rel.
>
> And no, I don't need SSL. But sometimes you may click on a site
> with an "s" :)
>
> Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier [Tel: +55-21-620-7173 - Niter?i-RJ Brasil]
> address@hidden,appwatch.com,urbi.com.br}
> http://appwatch.com/ - Open Source with Quality - address@hidden

On this trend, maybe be a lynx-patch site be linked into the website?

This way we can place all the available non-standard patches in one place
(non-standard like SSL + visited links + others that may exist)

With each patch there of course would need to be a README giving the
following info:
1) lynx version the patch is meant for
2) systems tried on (or meant for if a system specific patch)
3) authors info
4) "USE AT OWN RISK" type comment saying that lynx-dev doesn't maintain
the patches, see the author.

It's just a thought, cause I was tring to remember who had said thet had a
patch for visited links (V{link}) but can't remember. It would also make
the SSL question go away because we can add a line into the docs to the
tune of "Other unsupported features like (list) can be retreived from
http://somewhere.shrug/patches/are/here";

Natasha

||                              Natasha Live                                ||
||                Email : address@hidden                   ||
||              WWW : http://www.braecklein.freeserve.co.uk/                ||