Re: lynx-dev dev.16 patch 5 corrected

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.16 patch 5 corrected
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 11:31:50 +0900 (JST)

> +  --enable-internal-links    (prevent defining DONT_TRACK_INTERNAL_LINKS)
> +     With this option, `internal links' (links within a document to a
> +     location within the same document) get treated differently.  Lynx
                                                                  ^
"from what" is not explicit.

> +     can distinguish between `<A HREF="foo#frag">' and `<A HREF="#frag">',
> +     for example, within a document whose URL is `foo', and may handle
> +     them differently.  Practical differences appear only when the
> +     containing document is the result of a POST request or has a no-cache
> +     flag set.  According to the author of this feature, it does The Right
> +     Thing, interprets URL-references as required by RFC 2396, and prevents
> +     inappropriate resubmissions of form content with the POST method.
> +     According to a previous lynx maintainer, it does the wrong thing,
> +     is unnecessary, and can cause inappropriate resubmission of form
> +     content.

As you may recall from my fairly recent complaint of a failed compile, I use
"--enable-internal-links," and actually have been using your code since it's
inception.  On the other hand, I never reveal sensitive information over the
Internet, SSL or not, especially with POST.  Just so you know my bias.  I also
confess, although you may already know that, that I am the one who insisted
on Fote's analysis being the default -- solely on the basis of, however remote,
"better safe than sorry."

While your version is far superior to what is there now, I think it is too
long, is ambiguous in one respect, and recalls the "personality conflicts"
which spilled so much emotion into this difference of opinions and ended up
clouding the issue.

Would you consider something like the following (as always, a suggestion):

  --enable-internal-links       (prevent defining DONT_TRACK_INTERNAL_LINKS)
        With `internal links' (links within a document to a location within
        the same document) enabled, Lynx will distinguish between, for example,
        `<A HREF="foo#frag">' and `<A HREF="#frag">' within a document whose
        URL is `foo'.  It may handle such links differently, although practical
        differences would appear only if the document containing them resulted
        from a POST request or had a no-cache flag set.  This feature attempts
        to interpret URL-references as suggested by RFC 2396, and to prevent
        mistaken resubmissions of form content with the POST method.  An
        alternate opinion predicts that the feature could actually result in
        inappropriate resubmission of form content.

__Henry