Re: lynx-dev libreadline

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev libreadline
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 22:13:43 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, brian j pardy wrote:

> Actually, I just downloaded and compiled readline-4.0.  It has an
> option to side-scroll as opposed to wrap (set horizontal-scroll-mode
> in .inputrc, assume can be done in the source).
>
> Also -- I'm not proposing completely switching over to readline, just
> the possibility of a compile-time choice.  From a quick skim of the
> source, I think it might be possible to #ifdef out a bit of the edit
> handling code, if someone wants to use readline.  The only area where
> I think it could possibly be used is when there's a simple line
> prompt, such as for save file name, or when composing mail.  I'm not
> sure it could be manipulated into handling form fields or anything,
> nor if that would even be desirable.
>
> As for the benefit, that would be wholly subjective.  I like using vi
> commandline editing, with a bunch of additional keybindings for the
> emacs control keys.  Using readline would allow users to set bindings
> only in .inputrc, and have all readline-using apps follow that.

So in some situations input would act one way (and be controlled in one
way), and in other situations input would act in another way (and be
controlled in another way - .inputrc).  I just think this isn't very
useful, to most people.  That shouldn't prevent you from playing around
with it, of course.  (Any chance you'll do something wrt cookie saving
before 2.8.3 ? :))

> > That said, try the following experiment anyway:
> >      TERM=dumb bash
>
> Apart from ^A and ^E not working (which I think is a side-effect of
> not having my bash rc scripts set up -- I use zsh), what am I looking for?

I found that it has the effect of not wrapping the line, but side-scrolling
instead, with '<' and '>' indicators left and right (quite similar to what
the lynx line editing code does, actually).  At least on two systems:

  Linux 2.0.33       with GNU bash 2.01.1(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu),
  FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE with GNU bash 2.03.0(1)-release (i386-pc-freebsd3.1),

with libreadline version 2.1 for the first (not sure about the second), so
I thought the behavior might be the general.  Oh and ^A and ^E do work.

   Klaus