Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.17

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.17
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:06:43 +0900 (JST)

>  As for this particular feature, I suggest adding another lynx.cfg option -
> VISITED_LINKS_MODE, with values named after choices that appear in popup that
> appears on dev16 lynxes, plus one more, SELECT. So, if anything but SELECT is
> selected, that popup is hidden. The default value for it could be the one that
> matches old behaviour (but I like new one). I could add that I like that
> popup is placed directly at V.L. page (but placing that popup at Options page
> TOO could be useful). Also this popup doesn't really take too much screen
  ^^^
Why the need for all the duplication?  PLEASE DON'T add a lynx.cfg option if
you're not willing to remove the .lynxrc one.

> lazy to recompile lynx in order to try that functionality. If Henry still
> cares so much about extra kilobyte of the code that feature adds, we can
                            ^^^^^^^^                  ^^^^^^^
It has nothing to do with 1kb; it has to do with the worth of the so-called
"feature" itself.  All it does for me in its present form is 1) take away
2 lines of information that I want on the Visited Page, 2) when I try to
change back to a regular list, after pressing enter on the accept changes
I am thrown back to the page I was viewing before rather than a revised
Visited Page, and 3) it just keeps moving the visited links more and more
to the right so that long ones quickly have to be wrapped (making them
harder to read AND wasting more space).  To me it is worthless and I don't
want it, but there is no way for me to turn it off.  Why do I have to be
the one to create and maintain a backout patch?

I also am very much opposed to allowing the Visited Page posting (writing
to disk) privileges.

__Henry