Re: lynx-dev "hanging" after d)ownloading large file

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev "hanging" after d)ownloading large file
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:09:30 +0400 (SAMT)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 1999, Henry Nelson (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | Sorry for bringing this phenomenon up.  I could not reproduce it this
> | morning when our LAN and connection to the Internet node is not so
> | congested.  Some strange networking problem?
>
> FWIW, I occasionally see this kind of "hang" problem (that gets "cleared"
> by hitting either a "z" or a "^G") on normal link activation ("x" or "->").
> I dunno if I ever saw it on a d(ownload).
>
> Similar to your earlier description, after hitting z/^G, the requested page
> would get rendered (without hitting any other keys), and has always seemed
> to be complete.
>
> I don't see it happening very often, so I never bothered to try and track
> it down ... I guess I just assumed that lynx missed seeing some final
> "operation completed" packet from the server.  Or something like that ...

 I see this too, but only if using lynx for DOS, connecting via
WinProxy3.0, while getting files as a result of link activation ( I didn't
test plain downloading yet). I have extended read progress status enabled, and
for some sites lynx "handgs" when getting the page (as a result of normal link
activation) - the read status shown is like
        Read 2345 of 2345
- ie all content is read, but seems that remote server didn't close
connection. As I remember, all http servers with which I saw this problem was
Apaches. Seems that this problem is not caused by Proxy - there is a status
window for WinProxy, that shows all present connections - with 'hanging' lynx
connection among them (so I assume that either remote server or Windows TCP
stack is guilty).

  I didn't see this problem with lynx on Linux.

> /kim

 Best regards,
  -Vlad