Re: lynx-dev "hanging" after d)ownloading large file

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev "hanging" after d)ownloading large file
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 06:27:35 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > Is this repeateable?  Did it happen with one file, or with several?
>
> Yes, although I have not found the size barrier.  It has happened now
> on four files, two of which I have confirmed to be intact.
>
> > Did you have -partial on?  Does it make a difference?
>
> I compile with "--disable-partial."  I'll append my compile options below.
>
> > Did you have SOURCE_CACHE on?  Does it make a difference?
>
> I hope not, but I'm not sure how to turn it on or off, so whatever the
> default is.

You turn it on or off at runtime in lynx.cfg.  It it's compiled in,
which doesn't seem to be the case (no --enable-source-cache).

> > Did you try keys other than ^G (like up-arrow etc.)
>
> Not yet.  I'd like to try now, but on my overloaded LAN it takes 30 min.
> or more to download a file that will trigger the problem.  I'll try
> tomorrow morning.
>
> > What does it do when it hangs?
>
> Nothing; just sits there with the message.

I meant, what does it really do...  See below.

> > Does it consume CPU time?
>
> I wouldn't know how to determine this.

Use top.  Or ps.

> > What do lsof/truss/strace... say?
>
> Don't know about these.

Don't continue going through your computing life without.  Really!
I'm serious.  You'll thank me.  (probably...:)

Well, unless you are giving up on Unix(-like systems) completely and
are moving to MS Windows.  In that case, you're obviously not
interested.

> Do you want me to do ^T before pressing
> 'D', and send you the last part of the Lynx.trace log?

To the list (if you can reproduce it).  No special invitation required
for sending debug info to the list.

But actually... after going to the trouble og generating a Lynx.trace for
a problem, the first thing you (or anybody) should do is *look at it*.
There may be a line or message you understand.

> > And, sorry but I have to ask... did you 'make clean'?
>
> Built from a completely fresh breakout.  (But I've got my "zapfile"
> patch on (http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/lynxdev/hacks/zapviewedf.gz)
> so I'll have to recompile again anyway.  Might as well move up to dev.17.

Ok, I don't think that patch has anything to do with it.  (I'm wondering
why you are still doing removal in lynx, rather than in your viewer
scripts - but we discussed that, long time ago.)

> __Henry
>
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/.usr \
>         --with-nls-datadir=$HOME/.usr/share --enable-nls \
>         --disable-included-msgs --without-included-gettext \
>         --with-screen=slang --enable-nsl-fork --with-zlib \
>         --disable-partial --enable-gzip-help --enable-externs \
>         --disable-menu-options --enable-internal-links \
>         --enable-cgi-links \
>         --disable-alt-bindings --disable-config-info \
>         --disable-finger \
>         --disable-persistent-cookies --enable-cjk

    Klaus