Re: lynx-dev "hanging" after d)ownloading large file

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev "hanging" after d)ownloading large file
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:20:48 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> I saw this once: lynx shows "Read XXX KB" status and "hang", than I
> press 'Z' and got the output of ~10 lines. That was a page generated by
> cgi script (perhaps script was not exited and STDOUT was not closed in a
> right place).

There's nothing unusual about that, as far as lynx is concerned.
If Lynx doesn't get a FIN (aka. EOF), (and no socket error), it just
waits.  A server or service can keep us waiting as much as it likes,
up to some timeout.

  #! /bin/sh
  echo "Content-type: text/plain"
  echo ""

  echo "Wait a second..."
  sleep 1
  echo "Wait a minute..."
  sleep 60
  exit

If the server doesn't send FIN, or it doesn't get though to Lynx,
then Lynx waits.  Same thing if the server Lynx is talking to is
just a proxy, and the proxy doesn't close the socket when it should,
for whatever reason.  Don't blame Lynx, blame the network or the
server.

If Lynx gives a "Data transfer complete." message and *then* hangs,
that's something different.  It should not happen, and we should
look into it.

    Klaus