Re: lynx-dev COOKIE_SAVE_FILE wrong (was: strange behavior in lynx 2.8.3

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev COOKIE_SAVE_FILE wrong (was: strange behavior in lynx 2.8.3 dev 17)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:03:48 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> The lynx.cfg file has only:
>
> /home/lwv26/cfg.txt:COOKIE_SAVE_FILE:~/.parms/lynx_cookies
>
> I dont have a COOKIE_FILE defined in either the lynxrc or cfg file.

COOKIE_SAVE_FILE is brand new in dev.17, before that there was only
COOKIE_FILE, now there is COOKIE_FILE *and* COOKIE_SAVE_FILE.

But - when everything settles down and works like it was meant to -
you should normally specify COOKIE_FILE (if you want it to be different
from $HOME/.lynx_cookies, at least); but you would normally either not
specify COOKIE_SAVE_FILE, or specify it to be the same as COOKIE_FILE.

Specifying COOKIE_SAVE_FILE and *not* specifying COOKIE_FILE looks almost
certainly like a misunderstanding.  Something like this might make sense
in some special situation, but not in a lynx.cfg shared among 1000 people.

> When deciding what features to retain or replace, I sure hope people remember
> there are those of us acting as 'system coordinators' who operate in a manner
> quite different than those who have individually administered systems in
> the home...

You seem to be suffering from a bug that was introduced, likely combined
with some misunderstanding.  Not intentional breakage.

   Klaus