Re: lynx-dev External Mail programs

From: Eduardo Chappa L.
Subject: Re: lynx-dev External Mail programs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 08:19:10 -0800 (PST)

*** Henry Nelson wrote in the Lynx list on Dec 28, 1999:
:)
:) > > I'm currently running lynx on a Linux box, and would like my users to be
:) > > able to use programs such as pine and elm to send e-mail via the mailto:
url.
:) > >
:) > > Is there a simple option that can be defined in the lynx.cfg file?
:)
:) Yes.
:)
:) > It's compiled in iirc (some people submitted proposed patches recently,
:)
:) No.  (And shouldn't be, IMO.)
:)
:) The answer to this question has always been to use an EXTERNAL definition
:) in lynx.cfg.  Compile in the EXTERNAL function (--enable-externs), and then
:) your users will be able to use any mail program they want.  Kim just gave
:) an excellent review of how to do it, in reply to your query:
:)         Linkname: Re: lynx-dev Setting mailer in Lynx
:)         URL: http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1299/msg00589.html
:)

Thanks god this is your personal opinion. If I check a link like:

  http://beautiful.images.com/image1.gif

and I press return, then "xv" opens the image for me. I do not need to use
"external" commands to do this, although I could if I write a script to do
it. This is already incorporated as part of the code in lynx. I can open a
".pdf" file like this, etc. I do not see why a "mailto:"; reference can not
be treated this way. If you are interested to know, there are patches for
Netscape, for people that want to use pine as their mail program. I do not
see why you have to keep insiting in people to use the external command as
the only option.

  Thinking on the other way around, I can think of at least three
different ways than my e-mail program (pine) gives you to display
text/html files that are e-mailed to you. I do not see why you have to
insist that there should be just one and only one way to open "mailto:";
references, as important as they are today.

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/personal.html