Re: lynx-dev External Mail programs

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev External Mail programs
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:26:31 +0900 (JST)

> Thanks god this is your personal opinion. If I check a link like:
>
>   http://beautiful.images.com/image1.gif
>
> and I press return, then "xv" opens the image for me. I do not need to use
> "external" commands to do this, although I could if I write a script to do
> it. This is already incorporated as part of the code in lynx. I can open a
> ".pdf" file like this, etc. I do not see why a "mailto:"; reference can not

Does mime treatment of file extensions, ".gif" and ".pdf," have anything to
do with a protocol, "mailto:";?

> text/html files that are e-mailed to you. I do not see why you have to
> insist that there should be just one and only one way to open "mailto:";

I'm not.  Using a front-end script for your EXTERNAL would allow you to
offer a choice of various ways to execute pine as well as offer you a
choice as to what mailer you wanted to use.

__Henry