Re: lynx-dev External Mail programs

From: Eduardo Chappa L.
Subject: Re: lynx-dev External Mail programs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 22:30:36 -0800 (PST)

*** Henry Nelson wrote in the Lynx list on Dec 30, 1999:

:) Does mime treatment of file extensions, ".gif" and ".pdf," have anything to
:) do with a protocol, "mailto:";?
:)
No it does not, but the point is that there are many ways to treat
different choices, It is my opinion that anything which is not
http://foo.com/bar.html should be treated in special ways. mailto: can be
treated by opening an external mail program, like you do with any of your
other choices. In another words, what I am saying is that there is no need
for the external command, maybe all this is leading to the external
command being associated with the return key (too).

:) > text/html files that are e-mailed to you. I do not see why you have to
:) > insist that there should be just one and only one way to open "mailto:";
:)
:) I'm not.  Using a front-end script for your EXTERNAL would allow you to
:) offer a choice of various ways to execute pine as well as offer you a
:) choice as to what mailer you wanted to use.

If you can configure External to open a script, you can also do it from
this way. I do not see any difference. I have also had to eat my anger
after not being able to save my letter, which finally did not get sent by
the lynx mailer, just because I was not smart enough at the time to think
of a way to keep my letter. If I had been using my mailer I could have
saved it. I do not see anything wrong in just configuring a mail program.
I think people in general would appreciate it. If anybody is against this
please speak, I want to know why it is bad, when I only see something good
out of it.

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/personal.html