Re: lynx-dev External Mail programs

From: asgilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev External Mail programs
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 19:57:49 -0500 (EST)

>                      Re: lynx-dev External Mail programs
>     _________________________________________________________________
>
>     * Subject: Re: lynx-dev External Mail programs
>     * From: "Eduardo Chappa L." <address@hidden>
>     * Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 22:30:36 -0800 (PST)
>
>*** Henry Nelson wrote in the Lynx list on Dec 30, 1999:
>
>:) Does mime treatment of file extensions, ".gif" and ".pdf," have anything to
>:) do with a protocol, "mailto:";?
>:)
>No it does not, but the point is that there are many ways to treat
>different choices, It is my opinion that anything which is not
>[12]http://foo.com/bar.html should be treated in special ways. mailto: can be
>treated by opening an external mail program, like you do with any of your
>other choices. In another words, what I am saying is that there is no need
>for the external command, maybe all this is leading to the external
>command being associated with the return key (too).

Henry, I think that what you don't want is a bigger executable, no?

Making the mailer optionable, as the editor is now, does not require including
all that mailer code in the Lynx executable.

As far as the UI is concerned, I tend to agree with Eduardo that it would
be more logical if mailto: could be bound to an external call by extension,
just as display of MIME types is helped by extensions.

IIRC the problem was that this change is not localized in the code,
and nobody wanted to
take on a job of that size, so we have been using the EXTERNAL approach
which is, from the user perspective, a dab more busywork than is really
necessary.  I could be confusing this with background downloads.

Al