Re: lynx-dev problem with -post_data

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problem with -post_data
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 08:22:15 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Vieri Di_paola wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this mailing list. I hope my question can be answered by one of
> you.
>
> I use lynx to retreive the result of a biological database query. It works
> for "Entrez" (a server for biological sequences). I do:
>
> lynx -dump -cfg=~/.lynxrc
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query\?db=n\&form=4\&term=dolphin+\[ALL\]\&dopt=f\&tool=EntrezLinkDoc
> > EntrezResultFile
>
> I would like to do the same thing with another server called "Blast". But
> this time I need to post data contained in a file called p.in.
>
> Content of p.in:
> PROGRAM blastn
> DATALIB month
> BEGIN
> > gene1
> aaagggcccttt
>
> O.K. Then I tried:
>
> lynx -cfg=~/.lynxrc
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/BLAST/nph-blast_report -post_data <
> p.in
>
> BUT I get the following error message:
>
> ----ERROR IN BLAST REQUEST------Short error description...etc...
> ...etc... Your original message was:
> ----------------------------PROGRAM
> blastnDATALIB
> monthBEGIN>gene1aaagggcccttt-------
>
> Seems like the \n in p.in are not considered?

Lineends and spaces are ignored.

The content of the file should be in x-www-form-urlencoded format,
since it is sent exactly as is (except for the removal of newlines
and spaces).

Submit a small example by hand.  Then go the the INFO screen ('='),
it should show you the format you need under Post Data.

If that doesn't help look in the lynx-dev archives for the lasts months
for messages with POST or post_data in the subject.

   Klaus