Re: lynx-dev dev.17 patch 1 - FTP times

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.17 patch 1 - FTP times
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:52:58 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 address@hidden wrote:
> In a recent note, Klaus Weide said:
> > Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 10:47:32 -0600 (CST)
> >
> > > The way the International Date Line snakes around,
> > > is it possible that two time zones are more than 24 hours apart?  This
> > > is particularly likely since "Millennial Island" renamed itself and
> > > unilaterally bent the IDL to its east in a recent publicity stunt.
> >
> > So let them suffer for it.
> >
> Unfortunately, it's people in Honolulu or Fairbanks who'll connect
> to "Millennial Island"'s FTP server; encounter dates two dates in
> the future,

Ah, do they?  It's still a question, right?

> suffer, and whine on this list.

Nobody has whined about the *far* more likely problems that don't involve
obscure islands close to the IDL.

If someone should ever complain because a file with a date stamp from
an FTP server on "Millennial Island" gets ordered falseley, we can
always reply: 'What else can you expect from an Island that has
unilaterally bent the IDL in a publicity stunt?'  That's how we *should*
reply.  Save this message for the day...

Anyway, what's so special about 2 days in the future, rather than 20?
or 200?  Shouldn't lynx be able to sort all those dates correctly,
even if such files cannot possibly have the right timestamps?  Maybe,
but it doesn't, and I don't feel like making substantial changes in
that area.  If you want to, feel free - but I hope you'll test them.

   Klaus