Re: lynx-dev about downloading and source cache (was: THANKS AND QUESTIO

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev about downloading and source cache (was: THANKS AND QUESTION)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:09:27 +0400 (SAMT)

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Philip Webb wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 06:19:47PM -0600, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > > Leonid and I recently talked about whether 'd'ownload should use
> > > a source_cache copy.  I said then that yes that would make some sense.
> > > But I've changed my opinion again now...
> > > 'D'ownload means "download", period.  It's always meant that.
> > > The user can expect that a new download attempt will be made,
> > > rather than just using a (possibly corrupt) cached copy.
> >
> > true, as a bit of pedantic fatalism (smile),
> > but that's surely no reason why Lynx can't ask the user
> > eg "Download from WWW or use source cache?"
>
> No, *that* isn't.  The reason why I didn't even consider that is that I
> really hate it when (familiar & frequently-used) commands start asking
> additional questions like that.
>
> Some folks want some new behavior.  I agree that the posssibility of a
> download-like function that may take from a cache makes sense.  But I
> don't see why this has to be grafted onto the existing DOWNLOAD key
> command.  'd' is already doing double duty, as a "proper" download
> command and as part of a circuitous "download the current document"
> recipe.  Maybe it's time to make that latter one unnecessary, by
> creating a DOWNLOAD_CURRENT_DOC key command.  That could naturally
> have different semantics w.r.t. caching.

 I personally perfer some way to download from the cache to exist anyway
(since I use 14K modem).
 Currently, 'd' is a synonym for 'D'. May be should make new command
DOWNLOAD_FROM_CACHE_IF_POSSIBLE, that will be mapped to 'D' by default (or we
can don't map it at all, so the ones that want this command will map this
command theirself). 'd' should still have the old behaviour.
 You can treat this as my opinion, not as proposal (I'm not going to
implement this in the near future).

>[...]
>
>     Klaus

 Best regards,