Re: lynx-dev lynx on aix4.3

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx on aix4.3
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 20:58:34 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 4 Jan 100, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > Mayvbe we could work around the apparent problem with some changes in
> > the lynx code, but I don't think that would solve your real problem.
>
> not necessarily: it is possible that his problem is due to header that
> declare the types identically (some compilers simply don't accept that).

The compiler was (some version of) gcc, and it seems to act 'normally':

> /usr/local/include/sys/bitypes.h:25: conflicting types for `int8_t'
> /usr/include/sys/inttypes.h:49: previous declaration of `int8_t'

*conflicting* types here - this is an error.

> /usr/local/include/sys/bitypes.h:26: warning: redefinition of `u_int8_t'
> /usr/include/sys/inttypes.h:618: warning: `u_int8_t' previously declared here

just redefinition, to the same type - these are warnings only.

(These are all warnings about typedefs, not about preprocessor macros.
The latter would use different kind of text.)

In any case, I cannot imagine any sane setup under which there would
be a set of include/sys/ headers under /usr/ and another one under
/usr/local, AND they have conflicting typedefs for the same symbol,
AND the C compiler uses files from both those sets.  Something must
be installed wrong.

Actually, (taking the above only up to the first AND) when should
there ever be two sets of sys headers anyway, one under /usr and one
under /usr/local?  Maybe for some hackish tricks this would be useful,
but then the user would know what's going on and wouldn't ask us.

> -- in any case, we need more information...

Or, ideally, he can solve the problem himself...

  Klaus