Re: lynx-dev Assuming .Z in Lynx 2.8.2rel.1

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Assuming .Z in Lynx 2.8.2rel.1
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 14:07:50 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Evin Robertson wrote:

> >From http://www.newbabynameindex.com/ try to follow either 'Z' link
> (http://www.newbabynameindex.com/boys.Z.html and
> http://www.newbabynameindex.com/girls.Z.html). Lynx appears to do some
> bizarre misreading of this to be internally boys.Z.html.Z and tries and
> fails to decompress it since it's not compressed.
>
> This is Lynx 2.8.2rel.1 (01 Jun 1999) on a Debian GNU/Linux system.
>
> Netscape 4.6 exhibits similar behaviour, but I maintain this is a bug,
> since 1) .Z only means compressed if at the end of a filename and 2) It's
> doing something weird anyway adding the extra .Z on it (try to download the
> file).

Sure it's a bug but not in Lynx nor in Netscape. The bug, or
misconfiguration, is in the server. This is what the HEAD command shows:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 18:51:18 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) PHP/3.0.12
Last-Modified: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:06:55 GMT
ETag: "fc0e4-2067-37c1638f"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Lynx and Netscape are just following what the server says the file is.

Ismael
       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden    |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://ismael.cordeiro.com/   |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://pubnix.net/users/ismael |