Re: lynx-dev dev.18 patch: USE_PRETTYSRC, lynx.cfg

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.18 patch: USE_PRETTYSRC, lynx.cfg
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 17:04:49 +0400 (SAMT)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > PRETTYSRC.ATTRNAME_CASE:
> > PRETTYSRC.TAGNAME_CASE:*
> > PRETTYSRC.NO_ANCHOR_NUMBERING:*
> >   (ie "PRETTYSRC:NO_ANCHOR_NUMBERING" will directly go to table of options
> > in
> > lynx.cfg).
> >
> >   This style IMO looks better than FOO_BAR (and may be even better than
> > FOO:BAR), but doesn't requires new parsing routines.
>
> Please noooooooo...

 Why?

> Or let's go a step further and write things as
>   PRETTYSRC\ATTRNAME_CASE
>   PRETTYSRC\TAGNAME_CASE
>   PRETTYSRC\NO_ANCHOR_NUMBERING
> which no doubt looks better to people with enough exposure to the Windows
> registry.

 Please don't be so emotional about FOO.BAR. Why do you hate it so much?
 Treat it as X resources' syntax , not as something you treat it as (C++?) :-)

> >   Also it seems that such approach could be used for all lynx.cfg options.
> >   We could make new synonims for old options, without dropping old options'
> > names.
>
> It has become altogether too quiet in lynx.cfg.  We have to shake
> things up a bit, or users become too complacent.  Let's give them some
> syntactical surprises.  One name per option? - how boring!  Actually,
> let's make lynx.cfg look like perl, "there's more than one way to do
> it" and all.

   Seems you don't like the idea of synonims for options. OK. How about this:

CHARSET.OUTGOING_MAIL
CHARSET.DISPLAY:
CHARSET.PREFFERED:
CHARSET.ASSUMED.LOCAL
CHARSET.ASSUMED.UNREC

NEWS.CHUNK.MAX
NEWS.CHUNK.SIZE
NEWS.REPLY_PROXY

COOKIES.ACCEPT_ALL
COOKIES.SET
COOKIES.PERSISTENT
COOKIES.FILE
COOKIES.FORCE_SSL_SECURE
COOKIES.DOMAINS.ACCEPT
COOKIES.DOMAINS.REJECT
COOKIES.DOMAINS.INVALID.LOOSE
COOKIES.DOMAINS.INVALID.STRICT
COOKIES.DOMAINS.INVALID.QUERY

FILE.START
FILE.HELP
FILE.JUMP
FILE.DEFAULT_BOOKMARK
FILE.DEFAULT_INDEX

MISC.JUMP.REUSE
MISC.JUMP.PROMPT
MISC.MULTIBOOKMARKS.ENABLED
MISC.MULTIBOOKMARKS.BLOCK
MISC.MESSAGE_DELAY.INFO:2
MISC.MESSAGE_DELAY.WARN:2
MISC.MESSAGE_DELAY.ALERT:1

PROXY.*

PARSER.COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS
PARSER.COMMENTS.HISTORICAL
PARSER.COMMENTS.MINIMAL
PARSER.IMG.MAKE_LINKS_FOR_ALL
PARSER.IMG.MAKE_PSEUDO_ALTS_FOR_INLINES

<not all current options were covered>

 IMO the names are more self-documenting (at least they tell what category the
options control).

>   Klaus

 Best regards,
  -Vlad