Re: lynx-dev reading sjis docs [was Re: lynxcgi problem]

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reading sjis docs [was Re: lynxcgi problem]
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:27:09 +0900 (JST)

> > Yes, please keep the x-* form.  The vast majority of pages I view are
> > described as "x-sjis," sad as it may be.  (One reason is that older
> > Japanese versions (2.*) of Netscape will not correctly render documents
> > that do not use these forms.)
>
> It's not a matter of "keeping" it, but of adding support for it.
> That is, in a form and place that would really work.
>
> I'm not sure why this should be added now, after all these years
> when nobody asked for it.  Now that other charsets like UTF-8 seem
> to becomeing more popular, why do we have to add Netscape *2.x*
> compatibility support now...  But I'm not affected, so it's up
> to you guys.  (I think you know how and where to patch.)

I believe Hiroyuki Senshu has already added recognition of "x-sjis"
to the Lynx code, although I have no idea in what context.  What's
this:
        % cat GridText.c | grep x-sjis
        !strcmp(charset, "x-sjis") ||           /* 1997/11/28 (Fri) 18:11:33 */

It is not that we have to add Netscape 2.x*J* support; it is that
many authors wish to allow Netscape 2.x users to be able to read
their documents so they use the x-* form.  It hardly seems worth going
to the trouble of trying to use the META charset declaration if we're
going to be so strict as to cut out a large proportion of the Japanese
Web literature.

But I'll leave it up to you guys. :)

__Henry