Re: lynx-dev Re: current_codepage error during linking

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: current_codepage error during linking
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:09:12 +0900 (JST)

> some of the rough spots. The codepage issue is a result of changes by
> the main Win32 contributor (Hiroyuki Senshu) to allow Japanese language
> displays. As I mentioned in an earlier post, defines for SH_EX, CJK_EX
> and WIN_EX may overlap in come of the code.

I know Tom's already swamped, but it seems reasonable that these defines
be properly sorted out before a release.  No one should *have to* define
CJK or SH when all they need is WIN.  The three should not overlap.

In general the SH define seems "flaky" to me, i.e., either it contributes
to the "good" of Lynx for the majority of CJK or WIN users and thus should
be kept in the code base under the appropriate define, OR it is a personal
preference hack, and as such should be taken out of the code base and
patched on by SH himself.

CJK should not be tied to WIN -- it is a language and encoding problem,
and IMO should work on all platforms.  TH has recently shown that that is
possible.  I do not think CJK should be defined by default in the WIN32
make files; Lynx should compile effortlessly with CJK_EX commented out.

__Henry