Re: lynx-dev Lynx and macros?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and macros?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 23:20:39 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Philip Webb wrote:

> 000114 Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> > I would like to be able to download patents more easily
> > from  http://patent.womplex.ibm.com .
> > Can I automate the downloading with Lynx? Does it have any macro language?
>
> as TD pointed out, Lynx has no macro-language capability.
> the usual recommendation for this type of thing is  wget :
> you can find links to that & other downloaders on the Main Help Page.
> be sure to use an upto-date version of Lynx,
> ie 2-8-2 (release) from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/
> or 2-8-3dev.18 (development) from  sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/ .
> remember to be polite to sites by not overloading them with requests.

Another possible answer is to run lynx *under* some environment that
provides macro-like automation, like expect or kermit.
In that case, recent development code provides a feature that will
help with it: a -nozap=on flag, only available if lynx is compiled
with -DMISC_EXP.  (You may then even be able to pipe your keystrokes
as stdin to the lynx process, if lynx was compield with (n)curses.)

Yet another answer is that you should use perl, probably with libwww-perl
aka LWP.

   Klaus