Re: lynx-dev Mouse support on the console?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Mouse support on the console?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 100 17:17:00 -0500 (EST)

> Thanks for your generous help.
>
> This stuff is giving me grey hairs: I fetched ncurses ver. 5.0, compiled it
> --with-gpm and installed it (the ncurses installation apparently defaults to
> just overwriting the old one so I took a chance and my system works fine)

from 4.2, or Redhat 6.0/6.1?  (there are changes, but the shared library
has a different version number, so there shouldn't be a problem - ignore
those people who tell you to symlink version 4 apps to version 5 to save
diskspace ;-)

> Anyway, Lynx mouse-support on the console still doesn't work so I have a
> couple of further questions:
>
> The ncurses compilation has created the following libs
>
> libform.a       libmenu.a       libncurses++.a  libncurses_g.a  libpanel_g.a
> libform_g.a     libmenu_g.a     libncurses.a    libpanel.a
>
> and they're all installed in /usr/lib

Those are all static libraries.  Linux's linker is a little obtuse about
linking to static libraries when shared libraries are available.  (The
-static and -dynamic options are buggy).  For your purposes, you should
have done

        configure --with-shared
        make install

That will leave the file libncurses.so.4 intact, install a libncurses.so.5,
and make the /usr/lib/ncurses.so link point to the latter.  So applications
which are compiled and linked thereafter will (normally) run with the version
5 libraries.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden