Re: lynx-dev Lynx & OpenSSL

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx & OpenSSL
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:10:59 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> Have anybody tried to compile OpenSSL 0.9.4+ into Lynx? I compiled with
> SSLeay v0.9 a long time ago, but had no success with https://URLs (only
> crashes in the X509_funcs..).

I've been compiling lynx with SSL since Lynx 2.8.1rel.2 and SSLeay 0.90
without any problems. Now I'm using Lynx 2.8.3dev.18 with OpenSSL 0.9.4. Of
course I had to adapt the patches to the changes in newer versions of Lynx
but that has never been a problem.

> Does the old Lynx-SSLeay patches work with OpenSSL also?
> (hoping OpenSSL is backwards compatible).

Mostly yes but since OpenSSL 0.9.2 or 0.9.3 the include files are on the
include/openssl directory instead of the include directory. Mark Mentovai's
patch (http://www.moxienet.com/lynx/) for lynx2.8.3dev.17 already takes that
in consideration. The patch for lynx2.8.2 has to be modified. Change in the
patch for makefile.in the line

+ SSL_DEFINES= -I$(SSL_DIR)/include -DUSE_SSL

+SSL_DEFINES= -DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL_DIR)/include/openssl -I$(SSL_DIR)/include

Ismael
       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden    |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://ismael.cordeiro.com/   |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://pubnix.net/users/ismael |