Re: lynx-dev Mouse support on the console?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Mouse support on the console?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 100 15:15:20 -0500 (EST)

> T.E.Dickey <address@hidden> said:
>
> >     configure --with-shared
> >     make install
> >
> > That will leave the file libncurses.so.4 intact, install a libncurses.so.5,
> > and make the /usr/lib/ncurses.so link point to the latter.  So applications
> > which are compiled and linked thereafter will (normally) run with the
> > version
> > 5 libraries.
>

> Did what you said and annoyingly Lynx this time linked to *both* the old
> libncurses.so.4.2 in /lib and the newly compiled libncurses.so.5.0 in
> /usr/lib, the result: Still no mouse support!

perhaps libgpm was linked to the version-4 library?
(I check those with ldd, which can be fooled, but usually gives good info)
        ldd /usr/lib/libgpm.so

> So now I have cruelly renamed the old libncurses.so.4.2 shared library into
> oblivion and made a symlink of that name to libncurses.so.5.0 and
> recompiled Lynx and now mouse support works!

good (I guess ;-)

> Geez, why does it have to be so much trouble ;-)

It used to be worse - before 4.2 we didn't link to the exact version of
the C runtime library (in part because no one cared until the introduction
of glibc2).

> Thanks for your help.

no problem.

--