Re: lynx-dev a ¿Question?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev a ¿Question?
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:17:15 +0000 (GMT)

> conversion is probably the easiest. Normally, I would think that
> encoding should only take place if non ASCII characters are present.

In which case it should always happen, although a lot of PC mail
programs just send 8 bits (in which case the network may or may not
fix the error).  The issue is that, during the mail headers it is
too early to rely on charset in a Content-Type header and there are
many different possible character sets (e.g., if you were in Taiwan,
it would probably have been big5, not ISO 8859/1), so it is necessary
to encode the character set in the line itself.  Also, the default
SMTP protocol is not 8 bit clean (ESMTP can negotiate 8 bit clean
connections, but there are still a lot  of SMTP only servers and
a lot of user agents are not ESMTP aware).

The problem character in this case is (the Spanish) inverted question
mark, before the word Question.  This assumes that the ISO-8859-1
desgination is correct and this isn't really raw PC code page data.