lynx-dev Re: Lynx mishandles case 5 of test/TestComment.html

From: Michael Warner
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx mishandles case 5 of test/TestComment.html
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:45:13 -0800

On or about 09 Feb, 2000, Rick Troxel
<address@hidden> wrote:

> A minor bug, I expect.  I've been building and installing Lynx Version
> 2.8.2rel.1 (01 Jun 1999) for several platforms, using the SSL patch and
> the same security and performance patches included with the
> lynx-ssl-2.8.2-4 RPM for RedHat Linux 6.x.  On all my platforms --
> Linux, IRIX and Solaris -- I have noticed that one case in the lynx
> distribution's test/TestComment.html file, namely Case 5, is not handled
> as expected:
>
>    Case | 04 | Balanced
>
>    Case > still in comment --> | 05 | Extra GT
>
>    Case | 06 | Stuff Inside

That's the behavior I get when I use "minimal" rather than "valid"
comment parsing.  Try the backtick ('`') key to switch to valid
mode, and see if Case 5 doesn't clear up.

See also: MINIMAL_COMMENTS in lynx.cfg .

The argument for using minimal comments as the default is that
there are a fair number of faulty comments out there that will
give you (partially or completely) blank pages under valid
parsing.  I use valid parsing, and have myself fairly well
trained to hit the backtick if there seems to be something
missing, but that may cause confusion when "naive" (unsuspecting)
users are involved.

I'm using 2.8.3dev16, but I doubt that there've been any changes
in comment parsing since the version you're using.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>