Re: lynx-dev Form Submission

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Form Submission
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:39:35 +0000 (GMT)

> I have a problem to submit the form programmatically in lynx.

Assuming Unix...

Method 1:  encode the form response in URL encoded forms format and
submit it by accessing the resulting URL, for GET forms, or using -
post_data.  Formats for specific parameters can be obtained from the
= command screen; use a basic text on CGI scripts (or the original
forms specifications, together with the HTTP specfication) for the
general case.

Method 2: redirect Lynxes input and enter the keystrokes blind.

Method 3: use expect, or a local telnet session from kermit, to
do this in a more controlled way.

> I want to load the HTML file that contains FORMS, fill the values of the Text
> field and Submit the FORM without user interaction (programmatically). How to
> achieve this?

Note that I always have reservations that someone doing this is either
trying to use inappropriate technology (using web email rather than
proper email protocols) or trying to automate a process that the content
provider doesn't want to be automated.