lynx-dev More On Building ssl Support

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: lynx-dev More On Building ssl Support
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:01:30 -0600

        Flushed with victory after getting ssl to work on a Debian
Linux system, I tackled the same thing on a Sun Sparc Ultra running
Solaris2.5.

        After unpacking openssl-0.9.1c, I did

Configure -L solaris-sparc-gcc

which produced:

CC            =gcc
CFLAG         =-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -mv8 -Wall -DB_ENDIAN
EX_LIBS       =-L -lsocket -lnsl
BN_MULW       =bn_asm.o
DES_ENC       =des_enc.o fcrypt_b.o
BF_ENC        =bf_enc.o
CAST_ENC      =c_enc.o
RC4_ENC       =rc4_enc.o
RC5_ENC       =rc5_enc.o
MD5_OBJ_ASM   =
SHA1_OBJ_ASM  =
RMD160_OBJ_ASM=
THIRTY_TWO_BIT mode
DES_UNROLL used
BN_LLONG mode
RC4 uses uchar
BF_PTR used

        I did a make on that and it produced about 512 lines of
output, the last of which was:

ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to ssleay
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ssleay'
Current working directory /export/home/local/src/openssl-0.9.1c/apps
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

        The smoke cleared and I started with another clean
distribution of openssl-0.9.1c.  This time, I used

Configure -L sunos-gcc

I figured, what the heck.  This yielded:

CC            =gcc
CFLAG         =-O3 -mv8
EX_LIBS       =-L
BN_MULW       =bn_asm.o
DES_ENC       =des_enc.o fcrypt_b.o
BF_ENC        =bf_enc.o
CAST_ENC      =c_enc.o
RC4_ENC       =rc4_enc.o
RC5_ENC       =rc5_enc.o
MD5_OBJ_ASM   =
SHA1_OBJ_ASM  =
RMD160_OBJ_ASM=
THIRTY_TWO_BIT mode
DES_PTR used
DES_RISC1 used
DES_UNROLL used
BN_LLONG mode
RC4 uses uchar

        The make process produced 493 lines of output, the last of
which were:

gcc -DMONOLITH -I../include -O3 -mv8  -c  ciphers.c
gcc -DMONOLITH -I../include -O3 -mv8  -c  ssleay.c
/bin/rm -f ssleay
gcc -o ssleay -DMONOLITH -I../include -O3 -mv8 ssleay.o verify.o asn1pars.o
req.o dgst.o dh.o enc.o gendh.o errstr.o ca.o  pkcs7.o crl2p7.o crl.o  rsa.o
dsa.o dsaparam.o  x509.o genrsa.o s_server.o s_client.o speed.o  s_time.o
apps.o s_cb.o s_socket.o version.o sess_id.o  ciphers.o -L. -L.. -L../..
-L../../.. -L.. -lssl -L.. -lcrypto -L
gcc: argument to `-L' is missing
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ssleay'
Current working directory /export/home/local/src/openssl-0.9.1c/apps
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

        Are there any other nonintuitive things I should try?  Yes, I
know.  This is my day job--I mean about missing libraries, etc?

        Many thanks.

Martin McCormick