lynx-dev Getting lynx to post news under Windows

From: vtailor
Subject: lynx-dev Getting lynx to post news under Windows
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:05:54 -0600 (CST)

If you look in LYNews.c, you'll find that there is a test to determine
whether the external editor generated a nonempty text file whose content
is to be posted.  Unfortunately, at least under Windows of all flavours,
the test occurs right after the editor is spawned, under the assumption
that the editor has completed generating its output file.

This is the wrong assumption.  Launching the editor under Windows returns
you immediately to the calling program.  Rather than submit a patch, I am
pointing this out so that developers can choose whether to force the
program to wait for the editor to complete before testing the contents
of the news-post file or simply wait for the user to indicate "yes" or
"no" to the status-line prompt that follows.

I have naturally made my own choice, and I am posting this from the latest
February version of lynx.

Oh yes.  I had written previously that lynx converts 'v' to '/' on the
status line text input.  This happens when lynx.exe is linked to the latest
1.4.1 version of libslang.a.  If you link instead to your archived 1.2
version of libslang, the problem disappears.

The LyNews code is in the area of:

    if (!nonempty) {
        HTAlert(gettext("Message has no original text!"));
        goto cleanup;
    }
    /*
     *  Confirm whether to post, and if so,