Re: lynx-dev lynx and tables, looking for more information...

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx and tables, looking for more information...
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:47:45 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Duncan Simpson wrote:

> I have some code that does text mode table support (in word2x) and think it
> takes a function to render something with a given width into a buffer. Lines
> of text seperated by newlines would be appropiate.
>
> Last time I looked I failed to find such a function in lynx sources and
> decided I lacked the initimate knowledge of the sources to add do one. Could
> some expert provide some clues?

Could you describe in more detail what you are looking for?
(I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "Lines of text...would be
appropriate".)

If I understand you right, you have some code for tables but it would
require a "function to render something with a given width" that would
be supplied by the Lynx code.  I assume with "render into" you mean
everything including line breaking logic.  Unfortunately, there is no such
function currently in the Lynx code.  Splitting text into lines is done
in the simplest case (no relevant markup that affects line breaking) in
GridText.c or, in more complex cases, in HTML.c in cooperation with
GridText.c functions; but all this uses a global variable LYcols for the
available width (which is the full screen width), there are no provisions
for "rendering" into smaller columns of text.

   Klaus