Re: lynx-dev Re: messages

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: messages
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:11:43 +0900 (JST)

> But it does work now for Japanese, by jsut leaving "yes" and "no"
> untranslated, right?

It *could* work for ANY language by not adding extra, rather pointless
frill-work.  What's so terrible about "Y/N" anyway?

> Could you explain (or repeat...) what the problem with "." is?

"." in Japanese is "。".  So now all how many hundreds of strings I
wouldn't know end with "。.", if they even show up at all.

> I assume you mwan that translation of .lynxrc explanations is unnecessary?
> I tend to agree (at least, there are more important and more user-visible
> things to internationalize), but you don't *have* to translate those blurbs.

Is there any indication to translators about *how* the strings he/she
translates will be used in the code?

> > each new update I loose another translated string to some obscure change
> > in the msgid.
>
> But that's unavoidable as long as the code "lives", i.e. changes.

Anything short of "overhaul" is not worth doing, IMO.  Tiny, "obscure"
changes are the translation-maintainer's nightmare.

> > I pity anyone who
> > took the trouble to make a msgstr for each of those.
>
> But I don't see what is particularly difficult about the quoted > ones.

Nothing.  But will the translator, not necessarily someone familiar with
the Lynx code, know that he could have cut-and-paste his translations?
Those redundancies come in pretty much random order.  Lynx-dev might also
get more offers to translate if the pot file weren't so (needlessly) huge.
Anyway, I'm pooped out; so if Edmund wants a shot at it, let's at least
give him the message that yes Lynx needs a LOT of work in the msgid area,
and lynx-dev would heartily WELCOME his input.

__Henry