Re: lynx-dev Lynx Windows 4.0? when? - PS

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx Windows 4.0? when? - PS
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:54:54 -0800

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 08:37:21AM +0000, David Woolley wrote:

> > Dear Sir or Madam:
> > When are we going to drop Lynx 2.8.tweak.fudge.jumper and get lynx-windows
> > 4.0 or so?!
>
> When you submit reliable, supportable, changes to the code.  As you can't
> even make your mail program create compliant (~70 character) lines,
> I think that might take some time.
>
> Note that the code should not greatly increase the size of the executable.
>
> My guess is that most Lynx developers think that there is a point where
> people who want non-commercial browsers for Windows are better off using
> browsers designed as GUI browsers, like Amaya or Mozilla.
>
> > I mean, DECSystem20 had PTYCON, and that was more than 2 decades ago in the
> > mid'70's! PTYCON was "pseudo-teletype-controller" which operated like an
> > advanced windows3.1<control-escape>task-window: it inserted message-alerts
> > from the other tasks, and popped-up its connection-controller on ^X (that's
> > control-X) and showed you the status of pseudo-terminal
> > task/job/connection-numbers. Where's lynx-windows 4.0? Simple javascript
> > (no text-dimming, but window.open, etc., yes), and https-secure links, and
> > multi-tasks, (split-frames would be interesting if available, but not the
> > necessity), copy-paste-insert-lines of selected text into textarea/input
> > boxes, status-bar alerts [or pop-up box alerts] ... all the simple features
> > we've come to expect in a 4.0 browser. [Lynx-Gold 4.0 anyone?]
<rant>

(Good lord, that's a long (single) line!)

Seems to me that lynx is a BROWSER.  (and a bloody good one, too)

All this other junk (well, I don't use it) like news-reading,
email, etc -- to me, at least, those are just nice little
conveniences, quick-and-dirty HACKS for when I (or the user)
is too lazy or the matter at hand is too short, or unimportant,
to go use a REAL emailer or newsreader, etc.

Just because M$ (etc) adds all this horseshit to ITS browser,
as a way of further dominating the world, does not seem
to me to be relevant to LYNX at all.

Lynx is a BROWSER, BROWSER, BROWSER!    PERIOD.

To be "decent", do we (uh, you all) have to add a clone
of "word", "outlook", ... -- whatever billy-boy thinks of next?

You know, this DID start out as a UNIX tool, following the
idea of "separate programs for separate things".

And the PURPOSE of lynx was to AVOID all of the gui/mouse stuff.

So, what reason to be affected BY what happens in the gui/mouse
world?

And what do we care if NT, etc, doesn't really push line-mode
command-shells.  (Although weren't they supposed to include
the MKS tools sometime, in NT -- ie, unix look-alike tools
like wc, sh, ...).

----

OK, M$ and Netscrape -- they make more MONEY if more people
use their software.  Uh, who HERE makes any more $ if we (there's
that "we" again!) add features, outlook, MICE, etc to lynx?

</rant>

David