Re: lynx-dev Time zone line in posted usenet articles

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Time zone line in posted usenet articles
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:04:41 +0000 (GMT)

> not.  What appears to happen as a result is that the nntp news server
> adds a GMT posting time line to the posted article, but then places
> that article into the list of articles a day or so earlier than articles
> that already contain the date.

The clock is probably wrongly set on the news server.  In general, this
is much less likely than a client having a wrong time.

Many people prefer that the date represent the posting date rather than
the writing date, if they are composing offline, so I'm sure rather more
than Lynx let the server set the date.  What you should really worry about
is the server setting a future date; some people set future dates to try
and get their article to the top of the newsgroup - the more experienced
users of USENET spot this and ignore such articles!