Re: lynx-dev rfc959 problem...

From: Duncan Simpson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev rfc959 problem...
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:47:05 +0000

It occurs to me the usual case is the same ftp detials, so lynx could feature
a ftp connection cache: if the same detials were not used within a given
timeout then the connection would be closed. I would imagine this working on
top of two compoents
  1. A ftp connection table with search capability
  2. A scheduler based on alarm for placing events in the future (with void *
data for the code called at the appropiaye moment).

Unless the code needs sleep(2) I can not see any serious problems doing this
and presumably the second feature would have lots of other uses. I think it
would not reek of kludge if implemented as suggested above.

As for the scheduler's guts I would propose a minimum heap. Remvoing things
from priority queues is not rocket science---set the start time to infinity
and shift it off the bottom of the heap.
--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is