Re: lynx-dev ^g is a menace

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ^g is a menace
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:39:07 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Philip Webb wrote:
> 000227 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Philip Webb wrote:
> >> is there any way to disable  ^g  as an unprompted exit from Lynx?
> >> the editor i use employs  ^g  for `goto line # '
> >> & when editing a file for e-mailing via the print screen
> >> it is all-so-easy suddenly to find one's Lynx session in the garbage.
> >> i'm using dev.14 compiled with (ordinary) curses on IRIX 5.3 .
> >> it happens exactly the same way if i start Lynx outside Screen;

Remind me: does this happen always when you press ^g, or only in some
situation after invoking the 'P'rint menu?

Oh, and is there anything in Lynx.trace that shows why lynx thinks it
should quit?

> >> i also tested defining  ^g  =  do_nothing  in  lynx.cfg  without success.

Also double-check (if you haven't) that there is not a
  KEYMAP:^G:ABORT
already in your lynx.cfg for some reason.  Also check alternative
forms (KEYMAP:0x07:ABORT).  Check that you don't have a ~/.lynx-keymaps
file with something weird in it.

> > Check the output of "stty -a" from a shell prompt:
> > does it mention ^G as a character with special meaning?
>
> no, it doesn't: output in/outside Screen is the same:

> speed 38400 baud; line = 1;
> intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = ^@;
>  old-swtch = ^Z; susp = ^Z
> lnext = ^V; werase = ^W; rprnt = ^R; flush = ^O; stop = ^S; start = ^Q;
>  dsusp = ^@

Ok, that looks normal AFAIK (I assume ^@ is IRIX's way of saying <undef>).

That command shows the tty state in normal shell mode.  Let's try to
find out what it is while Lynx is in curses mode.

Assuming you have lynx compiled with lynxcgi support, use this little
script:

--- snip ---
#! /bin/sh
echo "Content-type: text/plain"
echo ""
echo -n "stdin: "; tty
stty -a </dev/tty
--- snip ---

I have it in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/showtty.cgi, with a link to it as
<lynxcgi:/usr/lib/cgi-bin/showtty.cgi> (actually I have this link in
my main JUMPFILE).  Your location will vary of course, and you may
have to set up TRUSTED_LYNXCGI accordingly).

   Klaus