Re: lynx-dev ^g is a menace

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ^g is a menace
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:05:22 -0500

000227-8 Klaus Weide & Philip Webb discussed:
PW> the editor i use employs  ^g  for `goto line # '
PW> & when editing a file for e-mailing via the print screen
PW> it is all-so-easy suddenly to find one's Lynx session in the garbage.
PW> i'm using dev.14 compiled with (ordinary) curses on IRIX 5.3 .
KW> does this happen always when you press  ^g
KW> or only in some situation after invoking the 'P'rint menu?

only after invoking Most or my editor from the Print screen
or my editor from the  g  e-mail screen
or after Mutt (from the Print screen) invokes my editor;
not from the Print screen itself or a normal Lynx screen;
if i enter  ^g  after starting Mutt from the Print screen,
but before Mutt calls the editor, the print request is cancelled.
it makes no difference in/outside Screen.

KW> is there anything in Lynx.trace that shows why lynx thinks it should quit?

nothing: the final  2  lines are

  command: /usr/local/bin/edit /homes/purslow/tmp/L7155-2TMP.txt
  LYSystem(/usr/local/bin/edit /homes/purslow/tmp/L7155-2TMP.txt)

PW> i also tested defining  ^g  =  do_nothing  in  lynx.cfg  without success.
KW> is there a  KEYMAP:^G:ABORT  or  KEYMAP:0x07:ABORT  in your  lynx.cfg ?

neither: the only key mapped to `abort' is  Q .

KW> do you have a  ~/.lynx-keymaps  with something weird in it?

no such file (might Lynx look for one the sysadmin might have somewhere?).

KW> Check the output of "stty -a" from a shell prompt:
KW> does it mention ^G as a character with special meaning?
PW> no, it doesn't: output in/outside Screen is the same
KW> that looks normal AFAIK, but shows tty state in normal shell mode.
KW> Let's try to find out what it is while Lynx is in curses mode.
KW> Assuming you compiled with lynxcgi support, use this little script:
KW> you may have to set up TRUSTED_LYNXCGI accordingly.

--- snip ---
#! /bin/sh
echo "Content-type: text/plain"
echo ""
echo -n "stdin: "; tty
stty -a </dev/tty
--- snip ---

sorry: what exactly do you want me to do with it?