lynx-dev Re: Lynx installation

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx installation
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:17:02 -0500

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 03:21:55AM -0500, David Silverman wrote:
> Dear Lynx development,
>
>     I have downloaded Lynx version 2.8.2 rel 1 from
> http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm for use on my Windows 95
> operating system.  However, I do not understand completely the
> instructions for installation on my system.  I have found that
> installing a free program downloaded from the net on my machine can
> cause inextricable tangles in the operating system, if everything is not
> done properly.  I do not want to risk my system by installing Lynx
> without knowing exactly what I'm doing.  It looks like a Lynx.bat file
> needs to be run before starting Lynx, and this file needs to be adjusted
> to my file system.  Also Path statements may need to be made, although I
> don't quite remember how to do them appropriately -- I don't want to
> spoil the existing paths for programs I have already running.  Also, a
> configuration file needs to be set up -- the .cfg file included in this
> download is quite large and seems to require expert knowledge to
> manipulate.  Also, I have to be able to emulate a VTF-100 terminal.  I
> am unsure about all these factors...
>     Is there a detailed, step-by-step explanation of how to install Lynx
> on a Windows 95 system?  Or is there some simple, automatic way I could
> install it, without having to tweak various files?  I would appreciate
> any help anyone can offer.  I would like to try Lynx on my computer,
> since it takes so long for Internet Explorer 5.01 to load web pages -- I
> would love to try Lynx, even if it means sacrificing some graphical
> content.  Thanks again for your help.

Well, Lynx does not touch the Windows registry at all, so there will be
no tangling from that.  The install is pretty rudimentary because no
one has an install builder that we (Lynx developers) know about.

You don't need to worry about VT100 emulation.

Try this install help page:

http://jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/readme.txt

Lynx for Win32 will run fine without touching the lynx.cfg file.  If
you don't like the lynx.browser.org as your startup page, just put
this into lynx.bat:

@ECHO OFF
set term=vt100
set home=c:\programs\lynx
set temp=c:\tmp
set lynx_cfg=c:\programs\lynx\lynx.cfg
c:\programs\lynx\lynx.exe http://jim.spath.com/

The paths above are where I put Lynx on my machine. (Of course, use
your site, not mine ;-)

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
But I'm quite used to being humiliated;
I can even go and stick my head in a bucket of water if you want...